Last week I did something quite unusual. I went shopping at an organic grocery store! You may roll your eyes now, but this is a very special indulgence for me. Everything there is so expensive! But totally worth it, I admit.
- roasted soy beans with tamari (salty, nutty, and crunchy)
- oat cream (less processed than soy cream, I’ll use it for soups)
- vegetable based sandwich spreads (I’m addicted to that stuff, and there are so many different flavors!)
- marinated tofu (great on pizza or casseroles)
- hummus (the best store-bought hummus I’ve ever had!)
- tofu cream cheese with garlic and herbs (simply amazing!)
- tofu-based cold cuts (tastes almost like the original)
- coconut oil (now I can make my favorite raw macaroons again)
- chocolate hazelnut butter (tastes like Nutella, but even better)
- almond butter (finally the real thing!)
- apple and pear butter (no added sugar, only fruit)
I’ve only ever had white almond butter, and was a little disappointed by its taste. Finally, I got to try this darker version, and it just blew my mind. So this is the Amazing Almond Butter that the famous blog ladies have been raving about! My life will never be the same.
And here are two more new-to-me foods, tofu cream cheese and tofu-based cold cuts (Aufschnitt). That tofu cream cheese is delicious! I couldn’t taste the tofu at all, instead I enjoyed the intense herb and garlic flavor. The tofu slices also taste a lot like the real thing. I actually think their taste is too authentic, too meaty for my vegetarian taste buds.
Usually, I buy all my food at conventional grocery stores. I keep telling everyone who’s asking that a plant-based diet is not necessarily more expensive than an omnivorous one. I mostly rely on fresh, seasonal produce, whole grains, and beans. Those things tend to be rather cheap.
But organic food can be very expensive! And yes, I spent quite a hefty amount of money on that shopping trip. But I firmly believe that occasional treats are healthy for your soul.
Anyways, I’m going to eat very well in the next few weeks.
What was the most expensive food you’ve bought recently?
Me: that almond butter above. Yikes!